All the class readings are online and listed in the schedule. Mostly we will use Safari online, a large database of practitioner's books spanning from computer science to finance. Access to Safari Online is free to UVA students, but it requires to be on grounds. If you would like to access from other locations, you need to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). If you do not have it installed already, this page will guide you through the free installation process for either Macs or Windows machines.
Visual Studio (VS) is installed in every computer in every McIntire lab. Many students choose to work from the labs.
If you want your own copy of VS on your own machine, download it from the ITS site. Look for “more options” and “MS imagine premium” tab they are somewhat hard to find. Download VS 2017 (NOT the "Community Edition"). If you have a Mac you need to first install a tool such as Boot Camp or Parallels, and then install on it 1) Windows, 2) Office, and 3) Visual Studio.
Spring 2017: Many students have had trouble installing VS. The following has a high success rate, but it is not a guaranteed
1) Make sure Visual Studio and all other Microsoft programs are closed
2) Open the Control Panel. Click “Programs and Features”. In the left sidebar, click “View Installed Updates”. At the very top-right of the "Uninstall an Update" screen, type into the Search box: KB3115135. There may be one or more entries labeled "Security Update for Microsoft Office 2016 (KB3115135)". Select and click Uninstall. Uninstall them all. Lastly, reopen Visual Studio, which should now work.
On the McIntire domain, we have blocked this update from all machines. Home users: this update may come back again in the future. Either repeat the steps above or download the “Show or Hide Updates” tool from Microsoft to permanently block KB3115135: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10
Connecting to the Database from home
If you want to use Visual Studio to connect to the DB server from home, you need to do the following:
1) create a text file containing the following line:
runas /netonly /user:"mcintire\sg6m" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
2) change the line above as needed with your mcintire userid, and the exact location of the version of Visual Studio that you are using.
3) Save the file as "VS from home.bat"
4) Start the VPN to Mcintire
5) Click on the VS from home.bat file and enter your McIntire password if requested
6) Make sure that in your code you refer to the server with its full name: f-sg6m-s4.comm.virginia.edu
If you want to deepen your learning about options and derivatives, I recommend Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives by John Hull. It is a very well-regarded reference book, albeit pricey. Any recent edition will do.
If you are a coding beginner, then Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2015 in 24 Hours by James Foxall, is a very good free option to get you started quickly or to fill some gaps in your knowledge. The Visual Basic official reference by Microsoft is not really intended as something that you read from top to bottom. It is best used as a reference dictionary for the language and its keywords. Use it that way.
To learn more about SQL, look into Getting Started with SQL by T. Nield.
Some of the following links will be enabled later in the course.