Thu. Jan 19th: Intro to the Class [Deck]
● Introduction to the class and its activities. Team formation.
Tue. Jan 24th: Digital Innovation Why and What? [Deck]
● Read: Moore, G. A. (2004). Darwin and the Demon: Innovating Within Established Enterprises. HBR Jul-Aug
● Read: The Scary Truth About Corporate Survival, HBR Dec 2016
● Learn: where to get the digital readings.
● Skim: the 'Monday' chapters in the sprint textbook.
Thu. Jan 26th: Business Model Canvas [Deck]
● Watch: Osterwalder How to design, test and build business models
● Skim: Business Model Generation preview
● Prepare for guest speaker: Paul Holland’s bio
● Watch: Trailer for the movie “Something Ventured”
Tue. Jan 31st: DI and BMC [Deck]
● Read: Etsy AS-IS BMC
● Read: Etsy Digital Innovation and come to class with a recommendation on the Etsy Bespoke initiative
● DI Video: Disney / Magic bands (nothing to prepare if you are not the presenter)
Thu. Feb 2nd: Value capture [Deck]
● Read: Michael, S. (2014). Capture more value. HBR Dec.
● Fill: BMC for Google (the search engine)
● Due: fill the "Monday" Sprint board. New due date: Tue, Feb. 7th
● DI Video: Monsanto (Johnston/Xie)
Tue. Feb 7th: The Gartner's Hype Cycle [Deck]
● Read: Gartner (2017). 'Understanding Gartner's hype cycle'. The pdfs from Gartner can be retrieved from here (Domain\username: mcintire\youruserid + Password: yourMcIntirepassword; after logging in, enter “understanding Gartner's hype cycles" in the search field). Let Prof Nelson know if you have any trouble accessing the site.
● DI Video: Taco Bell
● Due: fill the "Monday" Sprint board.
Thu. Feb 9th [Deck]
● Prepare for the virtual guest speaker: Tarek Pertew’s bio; Uncubed website.
● Read: McAfee (2011). What every CEO needs to know about the cloud. HBR Nov. New database. Try here
● DI Video: Amazon drones
Tue. Feb 14th [Deck]
● DI Video: Bang & Olufsen
● Read: Porter, M., Heppelmann J. (2015). How smart connected products are transforming companies. Harvard Business Review
Thu. Feb 16th [Deck]
● DI Video: Ge/IoT
● Read: McKinsey (2015). IoT Mapping the value beyond the hype. Read the Exec Summary and one of the application sections (pp. 35-95).
● Due: the "Tuesday" Sprint board
● Read: Accenture's white paper on AI
● DI Video: Burberry's
Thu. Feb 23st [Deck]
● Read: Yeomans, M. (2015). What every manager should know about machine learning. HBR Jul.
● Prepare for the virtual guest speaker: Ken Finnegan (IDA Ireland)
● DI Video: Nike
● Fill and return: presentation day auction
● DI Video: Amazon grocery
● Read: Top ten ethical issues in AI
● Watch or read transcript: Autonomous drone set to revolutionize military technology
● DI Video: Toyota
● Due: the "Wednesday" Sprint board
● Read: Eisenmann T. (2006). Strategies for two sided markets. HBR
● Read: the "Thursday" Chapter of the Sprint book
● DI Video: Tesla
● Read: Hagiu A. and Wright J. (2013). Do you really want to be an eBay? HBR
● Visit: the Floor - an Israeli innovation hub
● No video scheduled for today
● DI video: CocaCola Germany
● Read: D'Aveni, R. (2015). The 3-D printing revolution. HBR
● Visit: UVA 3D printing lab. Go directly to
MAE Rm 216A (see map attached). Teams 1-5 start at 3:30. Teams 7-10 start at 3:45.
Tue. Mar 28th [Deck]
● DI video: IBM/Watson AND Lego (yes, two videos)
● Due: the "Thursday" Sprint board
● No reading for the day
● DI video: CVS Health
● Read: the "Friday" chapters of the Sprint book, including the FAQs
● Read: Bussgang, J. and Bebarak N. (2016). Every Company Needs a Growth Manager. HBR February
● Watch: Growth hacking
● Read: wikipedia on product management.
● John Zeratsky and Jake Knapp (the book authors) are the virtual guests for the day!
On presentation day
● Due: the "Friday" Sprint board